In one of the more surprising developments of my life, I recently joined Jenny Craig. I signed up roughly two weeks ago because my usual method of weight control, the low-carbohydrate Atkins Diet, stopped working for me. Which is fine, because I'm not the biggest fan of meat anyway. But I'm also not a fan of feeling like a fatty. So after my discovery of additional poundage, I tried to limit my calories and up the exercise, also to no avail. As a last resort (or technically second to last; the last was bulimia), I thought of trying Jenny Craig.
I've always kind of thought of Jenny Craig as something old ladies do. Not sure why, the two things are just synonymous in my mind. So the fact that I joined was a really humbling experience for me. Not sure whether I'm admitting I'm old, or whether I'm admitting it's not just for old people, but all I care about is that I really hope it works. And with their method of using pre-packaged food, it might just. If it doesn't, something is seriously wrong with me. (Yes, yes, I know you can all probably point out things that are wrong with me, but I mean biologically, not in all of my other eccentric ways *wink*)
But I'm getting a bit off-track here. The point of the story, without going too hard into detail (because I'm boring even myself right now), is that this led me to start using one of my paternal grandmother's signature recipes on a daily basis so I won't feel like I'm starving to death.
Grammy, as she was affectionately known, was an intelligent, shrewd, proud, loving woman, and a damn good cook. She excelled at preparing many dishes and desserts (though I will admit to not being a fan of the jell-o with chunks of peaches and grapes suspended in it..ewwww), but one of her most-loved was pickled beets. I looked forward to her house because of her board games, her hugs, her tuna casserole, and her pickled beets.
She wrote out the recipe for me once, and I still have it. A treasure to me now since she is gone. And I realized, when perusing the list of "unlimited free foods" that I can now eat, that I can have as much vinegar daily as I would like, and as many beets daily as I would like..and while I can't use sugar I can use splenda in place of it, and bingo, baby! I'm going to finally pickle some of my own beets.
It turned out to be surprisingly easy. I cried a little the first time, I won't lie, but then I felt proud that she is living on in me. Her memory is still alive...I still relish the taste and think of her fondly when I eat them. So this new Jenny Craig "lifestyle change" has brought me closer in spirit to my Grammy. And I am grateful for that.
P.S. Leave me a comment if you would like the recipe. I'm sure she wouldn't mind me sharing! And I'll say now, if any of you ever have any advice you would like to share, please do. I don't want to just talk at you, if you have something to say that you think can help, I would love to hear it.
No comments:
Post a Comment