If you thought this was going to be about masturbation, you're going to be disappointed. And you should probably read on.
You can't please everyone. That is the lesson of the day. And I think a life spent trying to please everyone else is a waste of a life. Yes, it's important to be kind, and helpful, and build strong, solid relationships with people in your life, and to help them when and if you can, but making the majority of the decisions in your life with a focus on pleasing someone else (or several someone elses) is a terrible, terrible thing.
I think I may have ADD. This is a somewhat new realization, and it may not be the case (it may be fallout from a concussion I had this summer, but I do doubt that) but to diagnose it, apparently the most common procedure is having people close to the person suspected of having ADD fill out questionnaires.
For me, it made sense to have the ex-husband fill one out, because he did live with me for many years. Maybe that was not my most brilliant idea, however, since there's still some animosity there due to us divorcing. It was quite a scathing result. I'm speechless, really. Or, well, I'm typing here so I guess I'm not speechless. But, after my initial period of feeling upset (and speechless), I'm now thinking it makes more sense to just realize that I'm not his favorite person right now, and maybe he really does feel the way he wrote about. And he's entitled to that opinion, even if I happen to think it's untrue. And, it doesn't matter.
I have a tendency to want to leave people happier and more content than when I found them, so it bothers me whenever I don't accomplish that. But, you can't win 'em all. And I do think in some respects, I helped that brother out, so I feel good about that. And I hope he finds happiness in life, even if he is sometimes a big meanie.
So, do me a favor (or don't, if it doesn't please you), and don't live your life for other people. They are rarely, if ever worth it. The only exception I can think of is putting your childrens' best interests above your own, but I think that's just common sense.
Free yourselves. And go masturbate or something, because I know you're thinking about it.
"I think I may have ADD."
ReplyDelete~I'm curious how adult diagnosis works. Keep us posted?
"...maybe he really does feel the way he wrote about."
~Sad pandas. =( I hope that doesn't last.
"And go masturbate or something, because I know you're thinking about it."
~Yes'm!
Adult diagnosis works pretty much the same way as it does when diagnosing children with ADD. You, and others who know you well (like parents, spouse, siblings), fill out questionnaires about your behaviors and tendencies, and your doctor scores them.
DeleteSurely, I will keep you posted :)
ReplyDelete