Monday, October 11, 2010

telephone.

telephone

I'm sure you remember that game from back in the day where you stood in a circle with your friends and gave the person next to you a verbal message.  Then that person would pass it to the person next to them, and it would pass around the circle from person to person.  The message would be nothing close at the end to what it was to begin with.  I remember that being a fun game.

But it's not so fun when you're an adult and half the things you say (or rather, 90% of what you say to one particular person) gets passed to other people incorrectly.  Or passed to you incorrectly from someone else.  In fact, almost nothing frustrates the shit out of me the way that does.

For a while, I thought it was me.  That I'm some sort of alien who just doesn't belong on this planet (and I reserve the right to come back to that theory again at some point in the future), but I am starting to realize that some people just suck at relaying messages.  Maybe it's the tone, maybe it's the wording, I don't know, but I do find it curiously funny that the one person I'm thinking of when I'm describing all of this has a job where their only function is to communicate information between clients and a company.  Irony at its best.

What it all boils down to is that I try very hard to be nice..to think about other people's feelings and try to keep them in mind when I do or say anything so I don't create or add to conflict.  I think I spend more time doing that than the average person does, so it really bothers me when people think I'm an asshole because some dipshit can't speak or understand their own native language.  But, as I said in my lesson of the other day when I said we must all live for ourselves and not to make other people happy, I can only do what I can do.  If I have the opportunity to show people who I am, they will know who I am.  If they only know me as an asshole through the words of a dipshit relaying bad messages, so be it.

1 comment: